Logo-jnp
J Nephropathol. 2015;4(2): 43-47.
doi: 10.12860/jnp.2015.09
PMID: 25964888
PMCID: PMC4417669
Scopus ID: 84927154854
  Abstract View: 2156
  PDF Download: 1216

Original Article

Co-existence of thin basement membrane nephropathy with other glomerular pathologies; a single center experience

Rizwan A. Qazi 1, Bahar Bastani 1 *

1 Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, USA
*Corresponding author: Prof. Bahar Bastani, Division of Nephrology, Saint Louis University Medical Center, St. Louis, USA. Email: bastanib@slu.edu

Abstract

Background: The co-existence of thin basement membrane nephropathy (TBMN) and another glomerular pathology portends a worse prognosis than TBMN alone.

Objectives: The purpose of our study was to investigate the prevalence of TBMN and associated glomerular pathologies at our institution.

Patients and Methods: We reviewed all renal biopsies performed at Saint Louis University hospital over a 7-year period. We excluded all post transplant biopsies, and biopsies showing diabetic glomerulopathy, membranoproliferative glomerulopathy, membranous glomerulopathy, and biopsies where no electron microscopy or immunofluorescent studies were done. All other biopsies were included.

Results: A total of 634 biopsies were included in the study. The prevalence of TBMN was 47 (7.4%), of whom 17 (36.2%) had TBMN alone. In the remaining 30 (63.8%) patients TBMN was associated with other glomerular pathologies: IgAN 9 (19.1%) and FSGS 9 (19.1%). We found significantly higher prevalence of IgAN in patients with TBMN versus all biopsies (19.1% vs. 7.7%, respectively, P = 0.002). We found significant similarities in biopsy indications for TBMN and IgAN group.

Conclusions: Around two thirds of the cases of TBMN were associated with other glomerular pathologies. The prevalence of IgAN, but not focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, was significantly higher in patients with TBMN as compared to the general renal biopsy specimens.

Keywords: Familial hematuria, Glomerulonephritis, Hematuria, IgA nephropathy, Thin basement membrane nephropathy

Implication for health policy/practice/research/medical education:

While glomerular thin basement membrane disease alone has a benign course, the cases that come to the attention of nephrologists, because of proteinuria or renal dysfunction, are often complicated with other glomerular pathologies that would affect the course of the disease.

Please cite this paper as: Qazi RA, Bastani B. Co-existence of thin basement membrane nephropathy with other glomerular pathologies; a single center experience. J Nephropathol 2015; 4(2):43-47. DOI: 10.12860/jnp.2015.09

First Name
 
Last Name
 
Email Address
 
Comments
 
Security code


Abstract View: 2156

Your browser does not support the canvas element.


PDF Download: 1216

Your browser does not support the canvas element.

ePublished: 01 Apr 2015
EndNote EndNote

(Enw Format - Win & Mac)

BibTeX BibTeX

(Bib Format - Win & Mac)

Bookends Bookends

(Ris Format - Mac only)

EasyBib EasyBib

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Medlars Medlars

(Txt Format - Win & Mac)

Mendeley Web Mendeley Web
Mendeley Mendeley

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Papers Papers

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

ProCite ProCite

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Reference Manager Reference Manager

(Ris Format - Win only)

Refworks Refworks

(Refworks Format - Win & Mac)

Zotero Zotero

(Ris Format - Firefox Plugin)